When do I need a building permit?

Permits are required for additions, decks, porches, finishing basements, replacing doors & windows of different sizes, interior renovations or repair that include structural modifications, demolition work, accessory structures, swimming pools and re-siding. All HVAC systems require permits, including all gas appliances & equipment, wood stoves, etc. A building permit and/or a zoning permit may be required when a building use is changed.

Separate plumbing and electrical systems permits are required for the installation, alteration, relocation, replacement, or addition to any wiring, piping, or equipment or appliances associated with those systems.

Electrical permits are issued and inspections are performed by the North Dakota State Electrical Board (701) 499-1549. 

Plumbing permits are issued and inspections are performed by the North Dakota State Plumbing Board (701) 799-1555. 

Permits are not required to paint a house (interior or exterior), hang wallpaper, replace cabinets and do similar finish work. Permits are also not required to build an accessory building having a floor area of 120 square feet or less, install concrete sidewalks and patios entirely on your property. Finally, permits are not required to insulate an existing building where no structural changes are made.

If you have questions about whether you need a permit for the project you have in mind or to see if it meets zoning requirements, contact the Building department.

Show All Answers

1. Who should I contact if I have a complaint associated with excess garbage?
2. Who do I contact about a street light being out?
3. When is my garbage and recycling collection day?
4. Who do I contact if I have a question about a current city construction project?
5. How do I request City water or sewer services to be installed at my property?
6. What should I do if I have a drainage problem in my backyard?
7. When do I need a building permit?
8. My neighbor is pushing his snow into the street, can he do this?
9. Are there any commercial properties available in West Fargo?
10. I need to dig in my yard, do I need to call someone?
11. What does it mean when the sirens are activated in West Fargo?
12. Can I have my utility bill emailed to me?
13. How can I pay my utility bill?
14. How do I stop utility services for my property because I'm moving?
15. Will the city locate property lines?
16. Who should I contact if a snow plow damaged my property during the snow plow season?
17. What materials are recyclable?
18. Are there materials that I can't put in my garbage bin?
19. What is the source of the odor in West Fargo in the spring?
20. Does the City of West Fargo collect yard waste or compost materials from the curb?
21. How can I dispose of debris after a storm?